My Girl project

Sophie reports on the My Girl project:

We were lucky enough to be able to observe and participate in education sessions for Project My Girl.

Aside from the science, these sessions ironed out the discrepancies between traditional beliefs of menstruation and the truth. It was shocking to learn some of the Malawian traditional myths that the girls originally believed and rewarding to observe them learn the truth and realize menstruation is a natural part of growing up.

Observing the progression in the girl’s knowledge and confidence to speak openly about menstruation was one of the most inspirational things about being part of Project My Girl. It was clear that the sessions had empowered the girls.

We handed out the reusable sanitary packs to each of the girls (three reusable sanitary pads and two pairs of knickers) once the girls had been shown how to use them. Each of the girls were so grateful and excited to receive their own packs and seeing their reaction was a touching experience which will stay with me.

My Girl training 1

My Girl 2

Women walking home after the training session

Emily, a local tailor, making re-usable sanitary pads

Emily with a finished pad

Emily with a finished pad

Patricia Lund

I teach on cell biology, human genetics and cancer biology modules in the Department for Applied Sciences & Health (DASH). I have organised a work experience trip to Malawi (first one in August 2014) using contacts and experience from my field work in Africa and started this DASH to Africa blog to engage all our students (and others) in our international engagement.
More about my research: studies on the genetic condition albinism in Zimbabwe, South Africa, Malawi, Zambia and Ghana have been wide reaching with multiple partners and funders. Information has been gathered on the frequency of albinism in different populations, mutations in the gene causing the condition, sun protection strategies adopted to reduce the risk of developing sun induced skin damage, health (especially genetic) care for this vulnerable group, education (mainstream versus special schools) and social perceptions (and misconceptions) about albinism in African communities. These multi-faceted studies have been enriched by collaborations with local albinism associations in Africa and. I have also been privileged to meet many families with albinism.