Sociology Student, Catherine Simpson, Interviewed by BBC’s ‘Global Questions’!

During the lockdown, I created a Sociology Instagram account (@sociologyvisual) whereby I post sociological quotes from various academic sources. I follow @BBCNews and they posted a story with a question box titled ‘what question do you want answering about the coronavirus?” I had just read about how people from working-class and BAME backgrounds are disproportionately impacted by the virus which made me furious that we are witnessing the same, unfair treatment being repeated over and over again. So, I replied to the story with “why have race and class inequalities been reproduced yet again in the fight against the virus?”

A couple of hours later, I received a private Instagram message by the producer of BBC Global Questions to ask my question on the programme, which was being filmed the next day. I was extremely nervous and was rather worried about making a mistake. But, after a lovely phone call in the morning with the producer and some encouraging words from my partner, I felt relaxed and was able to ask my question. I am glad I participated and quite proud that I managed to add in a bit of Crenshaw’s Intersectionality theory in my response to the panel’s answers. 

Stay safe,

Catherine Simpson