first week as a culc student

My first week

Everyone’s experience of their first week of university is unique to them. Our Student Ambassador Muneeba tells us more on how she overcame her initial nerves!

Saying goodbye to my sixth form friends was tough, and in my first week I suddenly felt nervous and unsure about making new friends. I thought to myself, I already have friends, I don’t need any more friends. Whilst making a fresh start can be liberating for most students, for others it can be a stressful and nerve-racking time.

On my very first day, I sat at the back and was adamant to be as invisible as I could. However, after a few ice-breaking sessions I surprisingly found that I felt more at ease with my nerves. Everyone else was just as nervous as I was, I talked and laughed and met the people I now call my friends for life. Throughout my time at university, I surprised myself further and threw myself head-first into the deep end by joining moot, mock trials and debates. I managed to juggle all three as well as all my seminar work and spending time with my new friends. It was the best decision I could have made! I won an internal mock trial competition and then managed to get into the finals of the Blackstones National Advocacy competition, where I was then selected by my lecturer to teach advocacy to new students in my second year.

I competed in numerous debates, I attended a formal dinner at Lincolns Inn, and I gave a speech to introduce a guest speaker at my university in front of a huge audience. I also met Iain Morley QC who wrote one of my favourite books which really helped with my advocacy called The Devil’s Advocate. I mooted at the Supreme Court and was awarded “Best Speaker” by Lord Wilson himself. Pretty impressive for a girl who wanted to be invisible.

It was my first week at university which really shaped all my successes. If I hadn’t stepped out of my comfort zone and pushed myself to try new things, I never would have become the person I am today. Even though comfort zones are cosy places, nothing really ever happens there, the exciting stuff begins the moment you step out.