fit

Sports and societies: Keeping fit and/or winding down

I usually put my lack of involvement in university activity down to the fact that I was a commuter from Birmingham who worked on a weekend, but to tell the truth, it was more because I knew nothing about the abundance of activities, clubs, societies, events etc. that CU provided for us. Even though I was a student here for three years and I’m now an employee, I still find that there are places and activities within the University that I didn’t even know existed. Out of touch, much?! But that’s why I’m writing this blog right now: I want you guys and gals to be aware of them and feel like you’re a true part of the CU community while you study here, and I want it to feel like you’re at home.

Now, I understand that some of you may think of the word “societies” and be struck with thoughts of American Pie, with a scarily hyperactive girl who comes up to you and says: “This one time at band camp…” but while during school and college days you had to worry about things like cliques, being cool, avoiding the unpopular kids and navigating towards the popular ones – university isn’t like that, not one bit. You’re adults, and being cool is a non-factor. So, let’s let out a collective relieved breath. Ah.

There are lots of reasons why you should think about joining either a sports society or normal society (or both!). Here they are:

–       If you missed your chance in school and college, it gives you a chance to get involved in things you’ve always wanted to get involved in, like playing instruments, singing, dancing, being part of a sports team (and so much more)
–       It’s your chance to have fun
–       Your chance to make even more friends
–       It’s an experience with people you never thought you’d meet
–       It’s a break from studying
–       A break from partying (if you need it, of course)
–       A chance to wind down and relax
–       It’s a chance to take up a new hobby
–       Perhaps add a little je ne sais quoi to your CV (or your Facebook statuses/tweets/Instagram photos)
–       And finally, while you’re here it’s a chance to make Coventry University your own, so you look back on your experience in years to come and say that you made the absolute most out of it

No matter who you are or what you’re interested in, it’s highly likely that you’ll find a sport or society that interests you. You can either join alone, or if this idea has you shaking in your boots, persuade your classmates or flat mates to go along with you. However you do it, everyone is friendly, up for a laugh and guaranteed to make sure you have a good time. So, take the plunge – it could be the best thing you ever do!

Make Coventry University yours. Click on the following link to find an A-Z of all available sports and societies: http://bit.ly/15xQBWs

Until next time,

– Karis :)