postgraduate-student-Gagandeep-Sekhon

In Postgrad Gagan Sekhon’s Words…

MA Career Guidance student Gagandeep Sekhon discusses why she chose to study careers guidance at postgraduate level and talks about her undergraduate and PGDip experience here at Coventry University.

After studying BSc Psychology at Coventry University, I was able to go straight into working for the careers service at the University of Law

Over a decade ago I did my BSc Psychology at Coventry University which gave me the knowledge of human behaviour and motivation. This laid the foundation of getting into advice work.

After studying psychology at undergraduate level, I knew I wanted to work with people within an advisory setting. Having looked at potential roles in advice work and various courses on offer, I decided to study the PGDip in Career Guidance at Coventry University as I knew that this unification with the QCG would equip me with the necessary skills and experience to become a qualified careers advisor.

I am now working as a Careers Consultant at BCU

I am currently working at BCU and studying MA Career Guidance, which is a top up course enabling me to complete a piece of research in an area that I have a great interest in, whilst converting my PGDip into an MA in career guidance.

Gaining the MA in Career Guidance will aid my long-term professional development within my current organisation, ensuring the impact and relevance of the careers advice and guidance that is provided for students and graduates. The course will also help me to effectively carry out key research within the university in an area that I have a particular interest.

I chose to continue my education at Coventry University, primarily due to the knowledge that I was going to be taught by some great lecturers and great teaching facilities that I know Coventry to have. Having had such a great experience for my undergraduate degree, and my postgraduate diploma, it made sense to complete my research here.

The course is delivered via flexible learning

This allows me to carry out my study outside of full-time working hours. Through lectures posted online, downloadable presentation slides, online discussion forums, Saturday schools, and flexible tutorial support – I find studying and working full time manageable.

Although I have not had much reason to travel as I study online, when I do attend Saturday school I find the commute is fine, because it’s just a 40-50-minute drive.

I really like Coventry – it has a really dynamic and diverse feel and the university campus is really impressive!

I have made friends from my Saturday school – the great part about doing a postgraduate qualification is that you meet a lot of like-minded people who are working in a similar field and it’s great to be able to share ideas and practice.

My family are really proud of me

Self-improvement and lifelong learning are really important to my family and in completing my MA I know that I am making my family proud.