student-graduating

COVENTRY UNIVERSITY CHANGED MY LIFE

I am Olatunbosun Idowu Ojo (Ola) from Nigeria. I hold a BSc degree in Information Technology awarded by Coventry University with a 1st class honours. Studying at Coventry University is one the best decisions I ever made in my life. Coming from a country where I was exposed mainly to theoretical work, Coventry University was the bridge I needed. Right from the first day of my information technology course, I had already started learning something new. The courses were very practical and structured to allow each student to learn at their own pace.

Careers Advice

Student-at-graduation

I was on the way to finishing my course with a first-class BSc. but still very scared about my future. I lacked confidence and had never been to a job interview. I started attending career advice sessions organised by Coventry University, and my communication skills as well as confidence greatly improved. The sessions were so comprehensive that I could not understand why they were free. I would gladly have paid for them if I had to as they were very useful to me.

Career Progression

At one of the career advice sessions, I heard about a program called KEEN and decided to apply. The Knowledge Exchange & Enterprise Network (KEEN) scheme is a programme which was established to give highly talented new graduates a launching platform to start their careers. The graduate employee is expected to provide some form of targeted improvement to the business while benefiting from mentoring from a university lecturer who is an expert in the required field. The KEEN project is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

Through the KEEN scheme, I was able to secure a placement at Quant Savvy Limited with mentorship from Senior Lecturer in BA (Hons) Media and Communications, Dr. Allen Stroud. Quant Savvy is a software company based in the Coventry University Technology Park providing services in the financial technology space with concentration on algorithmic trading systems.

I am very happy for the opportunity to be a part of Quant Savvy, a company which puts technology to work by providing automated trading systems with emphasis on futures trading. The majority of Quant Savvy’s client base are in the United States of America and my job is to manage the digital marketing department of the company to drive more client engagement and increase the client base of the company.

I am a very motivated individual and I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to study at Coventry University and most importantly for the fact that the university did not abandon me after graduation but ensured that I secured a placement with a reputable company and be part of a brilliant project. My knowledge and passion for information technology has made my work at Quant Savvy extremly worthwhile and with the constant professional help I get from Doctor Allen, the sky is the limit. This is an uncommon opportunity and I encourage every student and graduate to take advantage of it

As an Information Technology graduate, working at Quant Savvy, an environment that requires making decisions based on one’s initiative, I have been able to expand my knowledge of algorithmic trading, information technology digital marketing, and general business practices.

There are many universities out there, but from my personal experience at Coventry University both as a student and as a graduate, I would recommend it to anyone looking for world class education and a successful career.