Hays Recruitment Prize winner

Students bag Hays Recruitment Prize

Four Coventry graduates have been chosen to receive the ‘Hays Specialist Recruitment Prize 2014’. The award is presented to one student from each of the University’s four faculties who has demonstrated excellent performance on a work placement.

A word from Hays Senior Manager, Tamara Stewart:

“Hays sponsor the award in order to give something back to not only the business, but also to the students that very often come to us to look for an opportunity once they have graduated.

We work closely with Coventry University in finding suitable employees within professional services such as Finance, HR and support staff, and so what better way to cement our working relationship than sponsoring such a huge milestone for their students?

Hays are proud to be part of this occasion and hope this will be an ongoing prize for students in the future.”

The winners received a £200 prize each, donated by Hays, and were presented with an award by Tamara during am award ceremony at the University.

Emily Baker was nominated on behalf of the Faculty of Business, Environment and Society and the University Prizes Panel approved the nomination.

Hayes Award
Hays representative Tamara Stewart presenting Emily Baker with her award.

Emily, who is originally from Shropshire, studied Business at Coventry University. She chose Coventry because of the range of modules on offer. Emily was also fortunate to receive an academic scholarship thanks to her high grades at A-Level.

As part of the course, Emily chose to complete a placement with DHL where she worked as a shift manager in a warehouse in Essex. Emily is now employed full-time at DHL as part of their graduate scheme, and has moved to Windsor to be closer to work.

My placement has been the most valuable thing I have done at university. It has led to my full time employment past graduation, and I have learnt so much from putting theory into practice.

On hearing the news that she had been chosen to receive the award, Emily was excited and proud.

It feels wonderful that my hard work paid off. I wouldn’t describe myself as outstanding; however I would say I put in the hard work to get rewards. I studied hard and put in the hours where they mattered.

Hays Recruitment have generously funded a prize, to the value of £200, which is awarded annually based on performance during a work placement. The criteria is centred on a combination of highest coursework marks, personal development and progress on placement, employer feedback assessment and employability development demonstrated by the student.

Emily plans to spend the money on her car and she will also be donating some to charity.

Paige Ryan was nominated on behalf of the School of Art and Design.

Paige, from Rutland, is currently in her final year of a fashion degree. She opted to complete a placement between her second and third year of studies. Paige secured her year-long placement with Claire’s Accessories Head Office in the Design Department. The placement helped Paige to understand the fashion accessories business and see all aspects of the industry.

Paige’s designs for Claire’s Accessories

It was an amazing opportunity to work to industry standards and work alongside a talented and respected team. It was also amazing to be given such great opportunities. I’ve seen a lot of my products go into store and become bestsellers. I’ve also designed ranges for ‘The Vamps’ and got to meet them and I attended the Katy Perry launch.

Paige was both surprised and delighted to hear she’d been selected for the Hays Award.

It’s great for my hard work to be recognised. It’s also a great achievement to tell prospective employers and help me stand out from the crowd. I’m not sure what made my placement year so successful, perhaps it’s down to the individual. If I can’t do something I don’t give up; I keep trying until I get it.

Paige will use the prize money of £200 to buy fabric from Paris that will feature in her final year fashion project. Paige chose to study at Coventry University because, as she says:

It’s the best university for fashion outside of London. The University uses all the latest technology for fabric and garment construction; great facilities really make a difference.

Following graduation Paige is looking to start a career in the fashion industry. She hasn’t pinned down which aspect of the industry just yet, but is certain that she wants to work for a creative free thinking and innovative company.

unCOVered would like to say a high ‘Congratulations!’ to all four Coventry winners:

·        Paige Ryan – – BA Fashion – Coventry School of Art & Design

·        Andrei Ionut Ciursa – – Multimedia Computing – Faculty of Engineering & Computing

·        Emily Baker –  – Business Studies – Faculty of Business, Environment and Society

·        Raquel Rossiter –  – BSc Biomedical Science – Faculty of Health and Life Sciences