Student kitchens – sometimes you just want to get in and get out without having to make small talk…That’s where these five-minute meals come in!
The best way to handle this chaotic flatmate-avoiding-challenge is to act as swiftly as possible. Like Daniel Craig said in layer cake…
…for me this is all over. I’m getting out. What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it.”
So in-keeping with this speedy, organised theme, we’ve got five 5-minute meals that’ll have you arriving on time and sustained wherever you’re going.
Muffin in a Mug
A mug, 4 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1 egg, 3 tablespoons milk, 3 tablespoons melted butter or oil, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (or peppermint) extract, 1 tablespoon chocolate chips.
- Add all of the dry ingredients together
- Crack and thoroughly mix in the egg
- Pour in the milk, oil & chocolate chips
- Mix well
- Add the vanilla extract
- Pop into the microwave for 3 minutes at 900Watts
- Et voila! Great British Bake Off – here we come…!
Bread (any kind – wholemeal/granary’s healthier), jar pasta sauce, grated cheese, choice of toppings e.g. pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers etc.
- Lightly toast two slices of bread
- Spread pasta sauce over each evenly
- Add grated cheese (Lots of cheese…we like cheese)
- Finish with toppings if you’re feeling jazzy
- Place under the grill for 5 minutes…DONE.
Digestive biscuits (or favourite medium sized round biscuit), lemon cream cheese, toppings of your choice – Popping candy, chocolate flakes, fruit…I guess.
- Take one biscuit, spread the flavoured cream cheese on top evenly (use a mould if you fancy)
- Sprinkle on your choice of topping
- SHOVE IN YOUR MOUTH WHILST NO ONE’S LOOKING!
Pepperoni Pull-Apart Pizza Bread
Large loaf of tearable bread (tiger loaf will work fine!), grated + sliced cheese, cheddar/parmesan (any other cheese you want!), as many slices of pepperoni as you can legitimately fit into the bread, marinara sauce.
- Slice 2/3 inch deep cuts through the top of your loaf, in a straight or criss-cross design
- Spread marinara sauce generously filling all of the gaps – save some for dipping sauce after
- Place sliced cheese carefully in between your sliced bread sections
- Repeat step 3 with pepperoni slices
- Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over the top
- Ok.. this will probably take a few minutes longer than the title suggests…but come on?! Look at that ^^^^ It’s incredible!
Poached Egg & Asparagus on Toast (Healthy I know)
Some form of lovely bread (sliced preferably), one poached egg, a handful of asparagus stems, mini tomatoes on the side & some olive oil.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and crack in your egg – Cook for 4 minutes
- Simultaneously fry your asparagus stems in a small amount of olive oil, until slightly softened but not soggy (al dente)
- Toast your sliced bread
- Assemble & consume when ready!
So now you’ve got no excuse NOT to eat something that’s both delicious and quick, and the last one’s even healthy! The only problem is you’ll probably spend another 5 minutes making another batch!
If you’ve got any suggestions of your own please feel free to put them in the comments below – or, alternatively, you can contact us if you think your recipes deserve their own blog post, because we can make that happen!