Meet the Students Behind the Perspective Exhibition

Perspective is the degree show exhibition of the 2018 graduating class of the BA (Hons) Photography degree at Coventry University, available to view from the 16th – 25th May 2018.

The show has been organised by a team of third year photography students, working on multiple areas to ensure everyone in Coventry knows about Perspective and the exciting exhibition they have to offer!

Alice Sophie Turrell

alice-profileMy photographic and theoretical interests lie within anthropology, using photography as a tool of documentation and for intercultural communication in an informed way, sharing information of the place and culture to a wider audience. This has led me to travel all over the world for projects.

I explore memory and place through my nans life and her key locations to her across Britain.

iris-projectMy photographic and theoretical interests lie within anthropology, using photography as a tool of documentation and for intercultural communication in an informed way, sharing information of the place and culture to a wider audience. This has led me to travel all over the world for projects. I explore memory and place through my nans life and her key locations to her across Britain.

The highlight of my final year of the degree has been refining and realising my interests. While I have always loved culture and exploring it through photography, third year has helped me to direct my energy and passion for this into visual anthropology projects.

In terms of photographers/artists my main inspirations have been Alec Soth and Joel Sternfeld. Alec Soth’s use of narrative and aesthetic use of colour has influenced me greatly. Although the biggest inspiration and driving force to this project was the relationship between memory and place, and my nan. These two elements merged perfectly.

Lily Sadin

lily-profile

I have a keen interest in fashion photography, but more specifically in sustainable fashion. My project revolves around encouraging second hand fashion as an easy and affordable way of making our wardrobes greener.

I like to take inspiration from many different sources such as different eras of fashion, emphasising the idea of recurring fashion trends and the potential that second hand shopping holds.

cheap-thrill-hunting

My final year highlight was working on a project that I was really passionate about, sustainable fashion was a subject I discovered on my year in Madrid – had I not gone abroad I may not have had a project so personal to me.

My favourite artist is Charlotte Abramow, a Belgian photographer based in Paris. Her work focuses on various stages of life.

Victoria Billham

victoria-profile

My interests lie in the developing state of the environment and mankind’s role in this. I enjoy highlighting the relationship between the two and how the portrayal of this has evolved since the beginning of the proposed Anthropocene, theoretically and photographically.

peddarsway

My final year highlight would be that we were given the opportunity to undertake a project on anything we want, therefore completing a project I felt truly passionate about.

My practice over my last four years of university has been greatly influenced by the photographic work of Paul Gaffney. After speaking with Gaffney in my first year, I was inspired by his aesthetic, conceptual exploration of humankind’s impact on the land.

Paige Middleton

paige-profileIn my work I have a particular interest in the natural environment and exploring human interaction and environmental issues within these spaces. During my degree, I was really lucky to have the opportunity to study a multimedia course for a year in Madrid.

The highlight of my final year studying photography was definitely being able to carry out a long-term project on a subject of my choice, with almost no limitations. Coastal Contamination actually stemmed from an earlier project in first year whilst in Devon.

paige-project

My work aims to highlight the fragility of the environment and to foster a sense of connection between the viewer and their surroundings, so it is great to be able to exhibit the culmination of this work.

My creative thought process was also heavily influenced by my independent research project, which I conducted earlier in my final year. This focused on the iconic and alternative visualisations of climate change and these findings significantly altered my approach to this particular issue. I began to realise the importance of colour in my work and from looking at artists such as Alexander Mourant, which led to me to experiment with using a makeshift plastic filter to reference one of the prime sources of marine pollution: non-biodegradable waste.

Taylor Caterer

taylor-profileMy particular interest in photography begins within my community, The LGBTQI+ Community and the representation of others using the development of political and socially acclaimed issues that have been profound throughout literature and history.

Photography becomes the stronger voice in a world where no one listens!

mose-project

My practice over the last three years of being at Coventry University has been influenced by many photographers such as Nan Goldin, Robert Mapple-Thorpe, Andy Warhol and recently Magnus Hastings: especially his #GAYFACE collection. Also having the support of such a dynamic and professional team of lectures allowed me to explore and grow as a creative, understanding their practice.

You can follow the Perspective team and keep up to date with all the latest news of the exhibition by following them on Twitter and Facebook!