joshua-price

5 Reasons to Love Coventry

Guest blogger Josh explains why he’s loving his Coventry experience…

I’m Josh, I’m 24 years old, and I’m studying Adult Nursing at Coventry University. I love climbing, running, comic books and reading. And you may be wondering why all that is relevant, and how somebody who loves the outdoors so much ended up studying in a city. Well, picking a university is difficult. You’ve got to decide what you want to study, and just when you think the hard part is over, then you have to decide where.

Thinking about going away (or staying at home) to study can be scary. So here are the top 5 reasons I know I made the right decision when I chose Coventry city. They may just help you work out what’s important for you!

#1. Location, Location, Location

Coventry’s positioned just perfectly for me. It’s smack bang in the middle of the country, my home town is only a 40 minute drive away, and if for any reason I ended up without a car, then the public transport links here mean I’d never be stranded. You might be thinking being in the middle of the country doesn’t sound so great – but you’re wrong! Did you know from Coventry it only takes 50 minutes via train to get to London?! Even closer is Birmingham – hop on a train from Coventry and you’ll see the silver and blue spots of Selfridges in under 20 minutes! Impressive right?

cov

#2. City living

Maybe it’s because I come from a town so small no one here has heard of it, but living in a city was a must for me. I have to say, on the city-size-scale (yes I made that up!), Coventry is just perfect for me. I didn’t fancy anything huge, Birmingham was too large for me, but on the other hand campus universities were too remote and removed from everything else. I wanted somewhere I could easily walk to everything I’d need, but had enough going on to keep me occupied. I also needed to be somewhere within easy reach of the country side, so I could get my required dose of the great outdoors. Coventry hit that sweet spot, and the rest is history!

IMG_7555-min-min-min

#3. Fargo Village

Fargo Village wasn’t around when I first moved to Coventry, but it’s fast become one of my favourite parts of the city. It’s totally unique, but with a very familiar feeling – think Camden, or the Custard Factory in Birmingham – well Fargo Village is Coventry’s answer. But much, much, better in my opinion. Coventry’s ‘creative quarter’ provides a real contrast to the rest of the city, and always has something going on. Whether you’re looking for a refreshing pint, a sweet treat, or the perfect gift, Fargo Village is the place to find it!

#4. Coventry Market

Student budgets can be tight. It can be hard to cram in those 10 Fruit ‘n’ Veg those experts tell us we need each day, but in Coventry that’s one less thing to worry about. The indoor market’s fruit and vegetables are fresh, tasty and most of all cheap! What more could you want?! Well, in Coventry market there’s plenty on offer. Pick up your halloween or fancy dress costumes ready to go, or find all the bits you need to make your own, again, all at the most affordable prices. Cost of living is something that was definitely close to the top of my list when deciding where to study, and Coventry market has really helped curb my living costs since I discovered it.

Yep, the indoor market is merely a few feet from Ikea!
#5. The People

Did you know Coventry’s been voted 3rd happiest student city*?! It’s true! And in part that has to be down to the brilliant people here, students and locals alike. Coventry is wonderfully diverse, and in my experience for the most part, we’re a friendly bunch. I’ve struck up many conversations waiting for the bus, or whilst out shopping, and my neighbours are so friendly they even baked us a cake when we moved in – I certainly never expected that in a city!

people
Coventry’s Godiva Festival is the biggest FREE festival in the UK with 150,000 visitors each year

*Sodexo survey 2017