Coventry University Mature Students

6 answers for mature students

In September, I will join Coventry University as a mature student. I know I’ll be quite a bit older then most of my peers and I’ll admit this has worried me since first applying…

I’m sure other potential mature students out there are having the same qualms? Luckily for you, I can now share some of the best advice I’ve found, and hopefully answer your questions to provide some reassurance! It doesn’t have to be as daunting as it seems!

1) “It’s been a while since I last did any studying”

The fact that you have been accepted onto the course shows that the university has faith in you. No university wants to watch students struggle, and your confirmed place shows that the tutors who interviewed you truly believe you can manage the workload.

2) “Will I get help even though I’m older?”

All students are allocated a personal tutor who will continually review and discuss your progress throughout your time with the University. You’ll have many opportunities to raise any concerns or doubts, and you will receive support where ever needed.

3) “How will I fit in with younger students?”

This was a big worry of mine when I attended college at 26. The rest of my class were 18 and I thought we would have nothing in common, however by the end of the first year, ages were completely irrelevant. It’s actually very interesting to get a younger perspective on a task or problem – and you may even find that younger students turn to you for advice or direction, which can feel very fulfilling.

4) “Will I still be able to work part time?”

Absolutely! Just remember that your full time course will keep you very busy, so be realistic about how you manage your work and study time, make sure you allow yourself plenty of relaxation time too! The recommended limit for part time work is 10-15 hours a week during term time.

5) “Will I still be able to get a job once I graduate?”

Since 2006, legislation states that it is illegal for employers to discriminate based on age. Most employers are looking for mature-minded employees who will work hard, have good punctuality and remain focused on the task in hand – if this sounds like you, then you have nothing to worry about! Personally, I think choosing to attend university later in life shows that you really want to progress in your chosen career and are willing to invest in your future.

6) “Does Coventry University provide childcare?”

Yes! The nursery is run by qualified staff and is available for children aged between 3 months and 4 years. It is located on campus and is open to parents who are students, university staff as well as those who do not have a connection to the university. The nursery provides morning, afternoon and all day sessions. Further information and prices can be found here

All students are welcome at Coventry University, so brush aside your worries and get ready to have the time of your life!

If you have any further questions or concerns then just post them below, and we’ll do my best to answer them 🙂