3 things you should know about university societies

136 societies…

136 opportunities…

Societies are the type of communities we join to ease our homesickness, make new friends and get the most out of university life.

GleeAs young adults, we still feel the pressure of fitting in and being a part of something greater than ourselves. And a really positive way to feel like you belong somewhere at uni, is by joining a society.

I chose to take two small opportunities out of all those 136 possibilities I mentioned earlier. I wanted to make a change, gain new skills and ultimately find a home-away-from-home built on new friendships.

I joined the Romanian Society in the second semester of my first year. It took a lot of convincing to get me to go to one of the meetings but my friends eventually succeeded.??

1. What society meetings are actually like…

Not what you’d expect! The atmosphere can be really friendly, calm and easy going. You can interact with as many people as you want or none at all. It’s all about making you feel comfortable with who you are and the decisions you want to make while you’re there.

2. The benefits of being a society member

After paying a really small fee (they’re usually around £2-£3), you get to be an official member of a community of your choice. You get to experience the social nights out, trips and activities, as well as discover what you like and dislike in terms of your personal beliefs.

The University caters to every possible need a student may have, from cultural and religious societies to music-related ones and everything in between. It’s all about giving students a safe place to exert their passions and showcase their personalities.

3. What it’s like to be part of a society committee

I became the Secretary of the Advertising and Marketing Society and throughout the year, I worked with people from different backgrounds to bring our members together.

I gained team-building and problem-solving skills whilst also understanding the importance of time management and organisation.

Creativity and dedication were key to making the society a success but, most of all, communication was what helped us earn the trust of our members.
Ultimately, besides gaining employability skills and enhancing our CVs with the extracurricular activities performed, we gained a friendship.
The five strangers from the beginning became five friends that left something meaningful behind.

If you want to learn more about our sports teams and societies and what they entail, visit our website, seek advice from your Sabbatical Officers, or comment on this post 🙂