Food for thought on Cornish tourism

The impact of cream teas, pasties and clotted cream on St Ives’ tourism industry has been deconstructed by academics.

cornish_pastyResearchers from Coventry University have been examining the impact that food tourism has on local economies, specifically in one of Cornwall’s holiday hotspots, St Ives.

With a third of tourists’ money across Europe estimated to be spent on food (35 million euros in 2015), the development of gastronomic experiences and holidays continues to grow so the team of researchers interviewed food businesses and tourists to learn more about the impact on the area.

During the study visitors agreed that localness, freshness and the unique dining experiences were important when eating on holiday, with many comparing the produce available to supermarkets and chain restaurants.

Holidaymakers interviewed also assumed that the food they brought while away had been produced in a sustainable way, particularly in relation to the fresh fish available.

Eating habits also changed during breaks, with participants admitting that they didn’t feel constrained by normal behaviour, such as healthy eating, thanks to the abundance of famous Cornish cuisine like pasties, ice cream and cream teas. 

The driver for many businesses in the area was supporting and promoting local produce, and showcasing the best that the region has to offer. With so many organisations offering sustainable goods, a competitive but friendly rivalry was observed, with many agreeing that they needed to offer the freshest ingredients because that is what competitors do and visitors have come to expect.

The complete findings from the study will be presented at a free event in St Ives, Cornwall, where researchers will outline the impacts they observed on both tourists and the local economy and environment.

Cornish-Heritage-things-to-do-Cornwall-Penventon-Hotel-1142x600Leading Locally: Sustainable Food Tourism in St Ives will be held on November 10 at the Farmers’ Market, Guidhall.

Part of the annual, nationwide ESRC Festival of Social Science, the event will run from 2.30pm to 4.30pm to allow businesses, tourists and academics to discuss the findings and look at how they can be used to develop new ways of working and continue to support the town and holidaymakers.

For more information on the event and to sign up visit https://www.eventsforce.net/cu/frontend/reg/thome.csp?pageID=814359&eventID=3434&eventID=3434&CSPCHD=00f0023h0000NfjKtHpQc09IiNDMZQByutJ0CTgElDrraVp969

Jordan Lazell from Coventry University, who led the study, said:

“Food is an important part of any holiday. Through the consumption of food, tourists are able to engage with local culture, traditions and gauge a deeper understanding of the landscape in order to ensure holiday experiences are authentic”

“What we found was that sustainable and ethical food formed an intrinsic part of the holiday experience but the majority of tourists were not actively seeking such qualities in their dining experiences. However, it was evident that the availability of such higher quality, culturally embedded food enhanced their holiday experience.”

32 thoughts on “Food for thought on Cornish tourism

1. I just couldn’t go away your web site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information an individual supply for your guests? Is gonna be again frequently in order to investigate cross-check new posts

2. of course like your website however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the truth however I will certainly come back again.

3. Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just
    sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
    your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any points for beginner blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it. I saw similar here: E-commerce

4. Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying
    to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success.

If you know of any please share. Kudos! You can read similar text
    here: Sklep

5. Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

6. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to
    rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good gains.

If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!
    You can read similar blog here: Dobry sklep

7. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with
    Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank
    for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Appreciate it! You can read similar blog here: Sklep online

8. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing
    very good success. If you know of any please share. Kudos!
    You can read similar article here: Najlepszy sklep

9. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help
    with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank
    If you know of any please share. Thank you! You can read similar blog
    here: Scrapebox AA List

10. you are really a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a wonderful job on this topic!

11. Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, very good blog!

12. Awesome website you have here but I was curious if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!

13. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.

14. Hi there, just became alert to your blog via Google, and located that it is really informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful for those who continue this in future. Numerous folks will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

15. I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i’m satisfied to convey that I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I so much undoubtedly will make certain to don’t overlook this website and give it a look regularly.

16. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

17. Wonderful blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused .. Any ideas? Thank you!