How higher education can make the industrial strategy a success 

Guest Blog by Vice-Chancellor Professor John Latham

John-Latham01The Government is forming a new industrial strategy. Our sector (HE – Higher Education) is in the right place to turn it into jobs and investment. This new industrial strategy is timely. As we prepare for Brexit, it makes good sense for the UK to work out how and where we have competitive advantage – and where investment is needed. But if we are honest, grand plans for industrial strategy have come and gone. Successive governments have drawn them up and it is quite hard to point to long-lasting, stand-out successes. So what’s new? What is different this time to make me optimistic? Two things. Devolution and a higher education sector more attuned to employment outcomes.

Working with industry

AME, Coventry University’s collaboration with Unipart Manufacturing, is the UK’s first ‘Faculty on the Factory Floor’

I believe devolved authorities and universities can – together with industry – turn a UK industrial strategy into action. Our institutions are in the right places. We have many of the right people and skills, plus the sector is better than ever at working with business and employers.

I told the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Select Committee recently we needed local frameworks to underpin a light-touch, national industrial strategy.

I said we needed skills and education to be at the strategy’s leading edge. And we needed to invest where innovation truly happened.

Ultimately innovation is local. You have a problem to fix, a group who want to solve it, and you come together in a common space to work it out. It rarely happens by virtue of strategic missives from on-high and, frankly, flashes of genius are too unreliable and infrequent for long-term business planning. You need to be in the room regularly. You need to have a stake in the outcome. And you need time and space to try things and innovate.

That is our experience at Coventry University. By creating the physical places for industry, business and academia to come together, we innovate. We create a place where sectoral expertise, investment and ambition can meet. I know we are not unique. Many UK universities now share this approach. Which is why I hope the Government recognises that universities can be implementers of their industrial strategy. We can provide a place to make it happen – with the right support.

Devolution

WMCU

WMCU sees a number of Midlands Universities joining forces

2017 will see several metropolitan areas elect new mayors with powers devolved from Westminster. Coventry, my city and university, is part of the West Midlands Combined Authority.

New powers and resources will open up more ways for us to have impact and drive growth. We have formed the West Midlands Combined Universities (with Birmingham City University and University of Wolverhampton) to ally with this new metro authority. We want to give it what it needs: expertise, data, and – crucially – places to upskill our region’s people, carry out research, and partner with business to generate jobs and growth.

By extension, this autumn we joined with neighbours in the East Midlands to establish the Midlands Enterprise Universities.

In short, several industry-facing universities have already taken steps to support a regional industrial strategy. I hope this example of local innovation, rooted in the opportunities of devolution, helps inform the national strategy.

27 thoughts on “How higher education can make the industrial strategy a success 

1. I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

2. Hi there I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a incredible post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb job.

3. Wow! This could be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Magnificent. I am also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

4. Thanks for another informative site. Where else may I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I’ve a mission that I am simply now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

5. I¦ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i¦m happy to show that I’ve a very just right uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot surely will make certain to do not put out of your mind this website and provides it a look on a relentless basis.

6. You can definitely see your skills in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart. “Every man serves a useful purpose A miser, for example, makes a wonderful ancestor.” by Laurence J. Peter.

7. FitSpresso is a natural weight loss supplement that will help you maintain healthy body weight without having to deprive your body of your favorite food or take up exhausting workout routines.

8. What i don’t realize is actually how you are not really much more well-liked than you may be right now. You’re so intelligent. You realize thus considerably relating to this subject, made me personally consider it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always maintain it up!

9. Hey there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the excellent work!

10. magnificent points altogether, you just gained a new reader. What may you recommend in regards to your publish that you simply made a few days ago? Any positive?

11. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

12. I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i’m happy to convey that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to do not forget this site and give it a look regularly.