Education Select Committee Brexit inquiry

Brexit will allow some universities to ‘go global’ while others will reduce in size – Professor John Latham, Vice-Chancellor of Coventry University tells MPs.

John-Latham-2Giving evidence to the Education Select Committee at Oxford University back in January on the impact of Brexit on higher education, Prof Latham said: “Brexit doesn’t give us more advantage to do things and it’s not taking away – it’s the way we do things that will be different.

“It does give us an opportunity to go more global, more quickly. We are already seeing universities from the UK setting up operations on a global scale, so we need to look at working with EU and international partners in the same way so we have the ability to maintain growth. Each university is going to have to look at its model, I am sure some will reduce in size and scale while others will grow.”

Agreeing that students’ immigration status should be re-examined he explained: “The sad thing is that if you get a really good student, who might come [to the UK] to improve their English, then move on to a post-graduate course, then stay on and become a researcher – at the moment that is four immigrations, but only one person.”

Highlighting the importance of EU students and staff, Professor Latham said he wanted to see universities’ relationships with European countries maintained: “We need to make sure we have a system that allows us access to countries, and EU member states are a key element of that. Nine per cent of my staff are EU staff, quite a significant number, and 2,000 of our students are from the EU.

Signpost-EU-ref-208x215“Europe has given us a great opportunity to have freedom of movement and the opportunity to bring people together to work collaboratively, and being recognised as part of a significant economic grouping has given us some advantage in the international market.

Over a quarter of Coventry’s research income from is from EU programmes. Speaking about the potential impact of Brexit on this work, he added: “The UK has played a leading role in research programmes and built up collaborations, some of which have been running for 20 years and from which we’re now seeing some great results. It’s going to be a key part of this process that that is not lost. We don’t want to walk away at this point, because going backwards would be a significant waste of money. One of the big areas that we’re involved in is automotive research.”

29 thoughts on “Education Select Committee Brexit inquiry

1. Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! “But O the truth, the truth. The many eyes That look on it The diverse things they see.” by George Meredith.

2. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any method you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks!

3. Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your blog. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Thanks!

4. Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and simply couldn’t come across. What a great site.

5. This design is wicked! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

6. certainly like your website but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I’ll definitely come again again.

7. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

8. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Appreciate it

9. I like this post, enjoyed this one appreciate it for putting up. “Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after.” by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

10. Thanks for another magnificent post. Where else may just anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal approach of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m at the search for such information.

11. I like the valuable info you supply for your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at again here regularly. I am slightly sure I’ll learn plenty of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the next!