World Book Day 2019

Today is World Book Day. It’s a day that celebrates everything that’s great about literature and for seeing photos of people dressing up as their favourite characters from books.

Books come in all shapes and sizes. You can lose yourself in a good novel, get spiritual with a religious text, expand your mind with a piece of non-fiction or even learn more about your favourite celeb or sporting hero with an autobiography. With the forever growing use of digital devices, it can be easy to go years without picking up a book for leisure and recreation, but they are an important part of our culture.

To celebrate World Book Day, we’ve gone round the members of the UnCOVered editorial team and asked them to name their favourite book and why…

Sharna:

Fantastic Mr Fox – Roald Dahl

01_blakeMy favourite book is Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl. This was the first book I read as a child that really got me excited about reading. Roald Dahl books always managed to capture my imagination, along with the great illustrations from Quentin Blake. It will always remain a classic!

Jim-E:

From Russia with Love – Ian Fleming

FRWL bookMy favourite book (so far) is Ian Fleming’s From Russia with Love, the fifth book in the James Bond series. I say ‘so far’ because I’m only halfway through the series. I think I like this one so much because of how gritty it is and how it really has the feel of a Cold War thriller. Fleming writes in such an easy-to-read-way. While he goes into very deep detail, especially when describing people and food, he writes in short, snappy sentences which makes you feel the action. Fun note: Fleming wrote this on a golden type writer at his Jamaican home, which was (and is) called… Goldeneye.

Daniel:

Inferno – Dan Brown

Inferno_1024x1024

I do love a Dan Brown book and I particularly loved reading Inferno (the film version wasn’t as good, sadly). When I finally got the chance to go to Istanbul, I made sure I made time to visit the locations from the book. Very smitten that day.

Penny

Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte

wuthering-heights-232

I was brought up a few miles away from where the Brontes lived in Haworth, Yorkshire, and the farm, Wuthering Heights, was based on a house called Top Withens, situated on the moorland near the Bronte parsonage where Emily, Charlotte and Anne lived with their father and brother.  The  3 sisters used to stride across the moor for miles and it was obviously the inspiration for “Wuthering Heights”.  The book is wild and exciting – a love story, ghost story and tragedy all in one novel.

Azhar:

The Qur’an

Qur'an-mas-haleem

I’ve been reading the English translation since the age of 14 and discover more every time I open it. I particularly enjoy the prophetic stories especially Joseph (Yusuf) and descriptions about the universe.

Bak:

The Magic – Rhonda Byrne

Magic

I highly recommend this book by Rhonda Byrne. Its 28 days of a life-changing journey that guides step-by-step and day-by-day to achieve any goal a person wants to accomplish.

Rachel:

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams

hitchhikersguide

This book is unbelievably witty. I laughed out loud so often.

Atika:

The Kite Runner – Khald Hosseini

The Kite Runner

Hosseini has written a truly fascinating novel taking us through his life and the events that occur along the way. We feel connected to the character of Amir and feel his struggles and inner conflicts. The descriptive nature of the text makes it a very interesting read for everyone. I would definitely recommend this!

So there’s an overview of some of our favourite books. What’s yours? Let us know and tell us why in the comments below of via our social media channels.