Graduate-Jenny

Jenny’s journey from a Foundation course through to a Master’s Degree

Jenny Shufflebotham graduated with a Master’s in Painting. She also studied both her foundation course and undergraduate degree at Coventry University. We got to catch up with her and see what all the fuss is about when it comes to studying at Cov Uni! 

I knew that Coventry University had both the facilities and staff to support my practice

I’m passionate about painting and keen to develop my skills to a professional standard. I knew from both my foundation course and my undergraduate degree that Coventry University Faculty of Arts and Humanities had both the facilities and staff to support my practice.

Why I chose to study a Master’s degree

My main reason to study my course was to develop my skills to industry standard and continue to acquaint myself in Coventry’s network of art practitioners. I knew a Master’s would help me with employment whether that be immediately or in the future when applying for higher paid roles. It’s also given me the time, space, and skills to develop a new body of higher-level work that I can use to showcase myself.

I would always advise people to study MA painting at Coventry University

The staff and facilities are excellent and I can’t have asked for a better experience. Graham Chorlton was an incredibly supportive tutor throughout my undergraduate degree and continued to be outstanding from the date I applied through to graduation.

The highlight for me was the Graham Sutherland painting studios

There is fantastic light, space, and inspirational people you get to work alongside. In the Summer, MA students can spread out after the undergrads leave and enjoy huge studio spaces that would usually cost a lot more than a graduate can afford. This was a real highlight and gave me space to consider my work more carefully. I also enjoyed using the facilities and helpful staff. I think the level of teaching is at an extremely high level, and I was incredibly lucky to have a tutor whose paintings I admire so much.

Part way through my Master’s I began a job at Birmingham Museums as a Learning Officer

Since graduating, I’ve made this role full time. I hope to progress my career within Museums and more generally the cultural sector. I would also like to continue painting and begin to exhibit the body of work I produced during my master’s.

The changes I’ve seen in Coventry since arriving in 2010 have been inspiring

From a standard West Midlands town to City of Culture winner, Coventry is really a city on the rise. This also goes for the University and its jump up the rankings.

Are you ready for the next step in your career? Or do you want to change career paths? Whatever your reasons to enhance your career prospects – browse a list of postgraduate courses available.