source-media-coventry-uni

Student Guest Blog: Join Source Media – Our TV, Radio and News Outlet

When you begin university, you’ll find there are loads of clubs to join like sports and societies. But what if you want to do something different? I wanted to join something that would boost my experience in my degree, and use the skills I’d gained from my course: Media and Communications. So I became a member of Source Media, the student media outlet for Coventry University Students’ Union.

Morgan-cov-uni-studentI’m Morgan, and I’m here to let you in on all the secrets of Source Media!
There are 3 aspects to Source:
  1. TV
  2. Radio
  3. News

Which allow us students to develop our skills and professional experience in different areas of the industry. Source isn’t just for media students, anyone is welcome to join!

Source Media has allowed me to meet new people and improve my existing skills. For anyone who is interested in the media, Source is a great stepping stone. We’ve been given the opportunity to interview celebrities, work with professionals, and report on sporting events for the University teams. Having your name on something is great for portfolios or to put on your CV too.

celebrity-interview

So what can you expect to do in Source?
  • Source TV  film and edit online content, to capture the events happening around the University and the city. It’s a great way to develop skills and display your work to an audience, who can give constructive feedback. Students can hire cameras from The Media Loan shop or use our on-campus TV studio.
  • Source News keep students across campus up-to-date on the latest events through Source magazine, social media and blogs. Having your work published on a huge platform will really boost your confidence.
  • The Source Radio team host live radio shows that are broadcast online and can be listened to from across the world. It is very popular as you can voice your opinions, share music you enjoy, and interview people, all while gaining invaluable experience.
Why join?

Source will allow you to make new friends, and gain new skills and understanding of a professional environment. As a community, Source allows us students to develop, have fun, meet new people and gain many opportunities such as work experience. People from all years, backgrounds and ages with different experiences can collaborate and go on to work together in the future. It’s just one of the many opportunities you have here at Coventry and it’s worth it.

How do I sign up?

You can join Source Media by visiting their stand at the Societies Fair during Freshers’ Week. And look out for the team who’ll be covering more events across campus during Freshers’, you might even be interviewed live on air!