Beginning a Degree Apprenticeship – an apprentice’s story

In the last of our series of blogs written by Chartered Manager Degree Apprentices, electrical technician Daniel Bentley shares his thoughts on starting the four-year course. Daniel works for Coventry University, an Apprenticeship Levy-paying employer which has invested its Levy in upskilling staff.

The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship is the first higher level apprenticeship offered to staff. On successful completion of the apprenticeship, Daniel and his fellow apprentices will be awarded a BA (Hons) degree from Coventry University as well as Chartered Manager status from the Chartered Management Institute. During his apprenticeship, Daniel is able to apply the skills and knowledge that he acquires day-to-day, with assignments based on his own job role. On graduation he will be equipped to apply for management positions.

“You may be wondering what is the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA)?

In this blog, I will take you through my journey on this amazing opportunity so far. This will hopefully give you an insight into what it’s all about and whether this course could be right for you.

At the start of the journey I had heard about the opportunity that the University was starting to offer the CMDA but other than this I didn’t really know what it was about. I had inadvertently deleted the email sent explaining about the course and the process to follow if I was interested. I have a bad habit of deleting emails that I believe don’t apply to me before fully reading them (as university staff we do get a lot of emails that are not always relevant to our role). Fortunately, a colleague had mentioned the email over lunch (this was very lucky). So, following this I decided to look back through my emails and try to find out more information regarding the CMDA. I finally managed to dig it out amongst the other emails I had discarded. On reading the email and deciding that this course was for me, I decided to speak to my line manager as required for more information. Thankfully, my line manager supported my application… and was so intrigued with the idea that he also decided to follow the necessary steps to gain access to the course.

Going into the course I was not 100% sure what to expect, having never studied a degree level qualification and being out of education for some considerable time. This was highlighted by several people on the induction day. However, our tutor soon put our minds at ease and has been fully supportive along with everyone on the course so far. This has made it really easy to settle onto the course. I am delighted to have been given the opportunity and be able to learn while I work.

Many people have asked me how the course is going; is it good? Would I advise people to do it if possible? My answer so far has been yes, if you get the opportunity and you’re sure the course is for you then 100% grab it with both hands. It is an amazing opportunity to study and gain a degree level qualification within the work place.”

In the New Year the University will also be offering the Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Degree Apprenticeship to staff working in suitable roles.

For more information, please visit Coventry University: the Nationwide Apprenticeship University, or contact us on 024 7765 4960 or email info@apprenticeship-university.co.uk.