Music To Get You Through The Week #23

As we approach the busiest time of the year – you know, module workloads, essays, deadlines, oh, and preperations for a little thing called Christmas – The days may drag, and the nights may be long, but you can always rely on us for a bit of music to make the week a little bit brighter. You’re welcome!

MONDAY:
The 1975 – Love Me

Last month saw the return of the mighty 1975, along with a new 80’s inspired crazy catchy sound. Love Me takes a swipe at the hollow nature of ‘fame’ and ‘celebrity’, and is the first single to be taken from their simple sounding second album, “I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It”. Good luck fitting that one on the album cover!

“Hey! Would you like to look outside sometimes? (No!)
I’m just with my friends online and there’s things we’d like to change!
Next thing you’ll find you’re reading about yourself on a plane, fame, what a shame! (Oh!)
Well, just keep looking, looking, looking!
And love me (Yeah)…”

TUESDAY:
The Maccabees – Hello (Adele Cover, R1 Live Lounge)

ICYMI, Adele’s back! If you didn’t know by now, I honestly have no idea where you have been these last few weeks! ‘Hello’ is currently topping the charts and breaking records worldwide, so it’s inevitable that a flurry of ‘average’ cover versions have also populated the Internet. And then The Maccabees come along, completely spin it around and show us all how it’s done! Orlando Weeks’ (what a name by the way!) unmistakable vocals will peak your interest in the song again, if you’re bored of the original already!
(Also look out for Conor Maynard’s epic version online too, featuring rapper Anth.)

WEDNESDAY:
Blinkie – Don’t Give Up (On Love)

This highly popular, yet still relatively unknown, track from Blinkie is the perfect accompaniment to ‘hump day’. Featuring the beautiful vocals of Alahna, this is deep house with a wonderfully chilled, almost summery vibe. (Remember when Summer happened?)

“Dance with me like no one else can see
Hold me like you don’t want to be free
Sun is gone, but the moon shines so bright
And I know we will share under the same star tonight
Don’t give up on love
Don’t give up on love…”

THURSDAY:
Samm Henshaw – Redemption

A fantastic new talent here in Mr Samm Henshaw, and yes, that is double ‘m’. Those of you that were lucky enough to see James Bay on his recent UK and Ireland tour may recognise this song, if you turned up early enough that is, as he was one of the support acts. Definitely one to watch over the next 12 months, his musical talents and voice are just stunning.

“Oh no, good lord, good lord
Said I can’t keep it up
Said now good lord, good lord
I need you to fill my cup
Said I’m searching for redemption
Redemption for my weary soul.”

FRIDAY:
Tiesto – In The Dark

We’ve arrived at Friday already – see, that wasn’t so bad after all! It seems fitting that we have an epic dance classic to celebrate the start of the weekend. Tiesto is arguably one of the worlds biggest DJ’s, with a career currently spanning around 20 years. Although this may not be as well known as hits such as ‘Adagio For Strings’ and ‘Wasted’, it’s still an absolute banger! Guaranteed to rev up your Friday night, no matter what you have planned.

“Cause I will be there and you will be there
We’ll find each other in the dark
And you will see and I’ll see it too
‘Cause we’ll be together in the dark

‘Cause if it’s coming for you
then it’s coming for me
’cause I will be there
‘Cause we need each other in the dark.”

SATURDAY:
MØ – Kamikaze

Saturdays should always include a sing-a-long at some point in the day. You could be doing a load of household chores, getting ready to head out again, or just having a pyjama party! No 70’s disco classic in sight this Saturday though – instead we have gone for emerging talent MØ, and her infectious new track, Kamikaze. Another artist being tipped for success over the next year or so, this follows her appearance on the massive tune from earlier this year, ‘Lean On’ by Major Lazer.

“Take me to the party
Kami-Kamikaze
Blame it on the buzz
I am never gonna get enough
Take me to the party
Kami-Kamikaze
Leave me on the bus
I am never gonna
Never gonna get enough.”

SUNDAY:
Billie Marten – Bird

Aaaand relax! Why not treat yourself to a sleepy Sunday and sit back and enjoy the gorgeous sound of Billie Marten. This is our third and final one to watch from this weeks playlist – can you believe she is just 16 years old?! 16!! Already releasing music for over a year, Miss Marten was a BBC Introducing  artist at Reading festival last year. Her latest offering just confirms what a talent she is, and seems to be getting her the airplay she richly deserves.

“Nobody’s watching
Drowning in words so sweet
Mild is the water
Caught as a bird once free

I don’t mind.”