New Staff Members UnCOVered: Hi Tash!

We’ve had some new additions to the UnCOVered team this week. So to start the ball rolling, here’s our new Digital Copywriter to introduce herself to you:

Hello!
I’m Tash, I’m the new Digital Copywriter and Communities Officer at Coventry University. I studied up in Leeds, and am so happy to find myself back in a university, now that my student days are sadly behind me!

After starting to study drama up north when I was 18, I quickly realised a drama school set-up wasn’t for me and had a brief challenging time switching over to English at the University of Leeds. I ended up having to go back a year, but once the hard part was over, I had an incredible 3 years studying English and Classics, before completing an MA in English Lit.

The experience really taught me to trust your instincts. If you don’t think you’re doing the right course, or you think there’s something you would like to study more, seriously consider your options.

ezgif.com-resize (10)

Is it just that you haven’t given it a chance yet, or would you be happier studying something different? You deserve to do whatever’s best for you.

While at uni, I did the usual hard work, partying, and some travelling about, and am now one of those irritating, ‘wise’ old graduates who knows how easy it is to take the amazing opportunities a university can offer you for granted.

^^ Fearless
^^ Fearless.

If I could offer my younger self any advice it would be not to be afraid, and to go for every opportunity you can. I don’t mind admitting that like a lot of people I can get anxious about things, but turning up in Morocco while in my second year, with no idea where I was going and nowhere to stay, is one of the best things I’ve ever done.

Nowadays I can mostly be found thinking about, making, or eating food, drinking wine, taking photographs, reading books, inviting way too many people round for dinner at one time, talking about animals, eating food, going to festivals or gigs, or watching The Walking Dead.

ezgif.com-resize (12)

At the start of this year I decided I wanted to do more things to push myself out of my comfort zone, so I recently went to my first gig on my own (might sound easy, but was quite hard for me!), completed an evening course in photography, tried paintballing (NEVER again!) and finding and starting a new job has been a bit scary too!

Since leaving university I’ve done a wide range of jobs that you don’t necessarily picture yourself doing while you’re studying.

giphy (11)Managing a restaurant, cooking in a restaurant, analysing data, shipping cake for Mr Kipling, and more! All with the goal of writing professionally in mind. But I’d say that no matter what you end up doing, you learn something that helps you get where you want to be. And you’ll probably have loads of fun while you’re doing it!

To wrap things up, here are 3 facts about me:

1. I have a cat called ‘Mogwai’. He’s more like a person than a cat and I am every kind of stereotypical crazy about him.
  2. I share my house with a Giant (really giant) Tegu lizard called ‘Toogen’ who belongs to my boyfriend.
  3. I’m a book nerd, but I’m only just reading the Harry Potter books for the first time, even though the actor who plays Neville once came to a house party at my house.