Are you travelling to a university in the UK from another country and unsure about what to take? Then Print off this handy list and cross off items as you go along.
- Passport – this seems pretty obvious, but don’t forget to pack your passport – otherwise you won’t be able to get your flight to the UK! It can also be used as ID for accommodation (if required)
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies letter (CAS)
- Qualifications – including proof of English
- Bank statement – bring the bank statement that you used for your visa application
- Visa decision letter – you will need your visa decision letter from the home office which will indicate where to collect your biometrics residence permit from
- Health documents - your health documents will help you save time when registering at your local General Practice (GP) (bring your TB screening document with you if you have had this)
Other important things
- Clothes, shoes and accessories - you really don’t need to bring your whole wardrobe with you! You can buy clothes, shoes and accessories from the UK at decent prices plus, the weather may be different compared to where you’re coming from – so don’t carry too much weight
- Adaptor and phone charger - although adaptors and phone chargers can be purchased in the UK, if you do have these handy already, then bring them with you. And don’t forget to pack your headphones for the flight
- Laptop - if you have a lightweight laptop that you want to use for university work and to watch Netflix on – then bring this along with you
- Photos of your loved ones – although you’ll probably be Skyping your family and friends back home, it’s still nice to have photos of your loved ones – you can stick these up on your wall or put them on your work desk
Items you can purchase when you get here
Items for your room
You’ll need the following items, but you can buy these from IKEA or Wilko – both of which are in Coventry city centre.
- Duvet, duvet covers, pillows, pillow cases
- Clothes basket
- A rug and decorations – to add a touch of personality and make you feel at home
- Heater/fan – depending on if you get extremely cold or hot
Clothing and accessories can be purchased from various shops in town including; Topshop/Topman, New Look, River Island, Debenhams, Select, H&M and more! Accessories can be bought from Bodyshop, Superdrug and Boots.
- Hair products including hairbrush
- Gym clothes and trainers (if you’re into keeping fit!)
- Stationery and books – you can get these from Ryman, The Works, Wilko or WHSmith
- Backpack – you’ll need this, as you’ll be walking around campus so get one that fits your laptop in too
- Reusable water bottle – New Look has some nice water bottles as do sports shops such as Sports Direct. Remember… you can always buy things that you need online too.